Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Less Of An Idiot

The Village Idiot closed four years ago. It was a great bar. It was clearly more legendary than Yogi's - it was bigger, louder, rowdier, more out of control. On the other hand, it was dirtier, smellier, rowdier, more out of control. Don't get me wrong - I loved the Idiot, but it wasn't for everyone. Ok, Yogi's isn't everyone's cup of tea either, but anyone who isn't a total snob can at least tolerate it. When you walked into the Village Idiot, the odor smacked you in the face; it was like the bar was saying, "fuck you! if you don't like it, get the fuck out!" I mean, it really smelled bad. Really, really bad. The floor was often covered in a layer of liquidy grime, obviously some kind of combination of beer, bathroom runoff, and vomit (I've witnessed multiple people I know simply throw up on the Idiot floor where they were sitting and then just go back to drinking as if nothing happened).

Yogi's could use a visit from Mr. Clean, but it's not on the same level as the Village Idiot. There were some friends I tried to take to the Idiot who walked right out as soon as they smelled the place. And even if they survived that initial moment, some people just couldn't handle how out of control the bar got sometimes. On the other hand, if I invite some random friend to meet me at Yogi's, I'm never scared that they're going to end up running out the door. Yogi's is sort of like the slightly mellower, more grown up version of the Village Idiot, which suits me well because I'm slightly mellower and more grown up than I was four years ago.

No comments: